1417 Avenue D
Katy Texas 77493
THE KATY VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT was established in 1947 by 14 men who met in a schoolroom. The Department’s equipment consisted of an Army surplus crash truck purchased from Ellington Field with money donated by the citizens of Katy. Our first fire chief was R. G. Fussell. Drivers were assigned and the Chief Telephone Operator of the town was made an honorary member of the Department. The Department immediately purchased a trailer, water tank, hoses, ladders, nozzles, rope, and 2 gas masks. A Fire Siren was installed in historic downtown Katy. The Katy Volunteer Fire Department gradually increased in size as the City grew and developed. Today’s modern, professional Fire Department is founded on the sacrifice, dedication and loyalty of those early volunteers and is sustained by the strong support of the community and the City Council.
THE KATY FIRE DEPARTMENT provides primary fire and emergency medical services to the City of Katy and some surrounding areas. The department has grown from an all volunteer based department to a professional department with paid personnel. The department was developed and conceived by volunteers wanting to serve their community. Keeping that in mind, the department continues to encourage volunteerism. Modern apparatus fill the Fire Station at 1417 Avenue D. Included are 3 Class A pumpers, heavy rescue and booster trucks, 4 ambulances, and a ladder truck. The station is also equipped with numerous other types of firefighting, lifesaving and rescue equipment and safety gear for the firefighters.
THE CITY OF KATY is ordained by its Charter to provide fire suppression, fire protection and rescue services for Katy, including furnishing trained emergency medical personnel to operate an emergency ambulance service. In addition to the fire and EMS services provided, the department has also been charged with the Office of Emergency management providing mitigation and preplan efforts as well as training and preparation for natural and manmade disasters.