The emergency service personnel in the City of Katy are well aware of our special needs communities. Indigent, wheel chair and bed ridden citizens, as well as families with mentally challenged family members may need extra help. Citizens who need extra assistance during emergencies such as hurricane evacuation or flooding situations can contact the fire department or fill out the questionnaire and submit the information into our database. Collecting this information can be vital during the time of emergency, saving valuable time and potentially saving lives.
Be ready to evacuate
Have a plan for getting out of your home or building (ask your family or friends for assistance, if necessary). Also, plan two evacuation routes because some roads may be closed or blocked in a disaster.
- Create a network of neighbors, relatives, friends, and coworkers to aid you in an emergency. Discuss your needs and make sure everyone knows how to operate necessary equipment.
- Discuss your needs with your employer.
- If you are mobility impaired and live or work in a high-rise building, have an escape chair.
- If you live in an apartment building, ask the management to mark accessible exits clearly and to make arrangements to help you leave the building.
- Keep specialized items ready, including extra wheelchair batteries, oxygen, catheters, medication, prescriptions, food for service animals, and any other items you might need.
- Be sure to make provisions for medications that require refrigeration.
- Keep a list of the type and model numbers of the medical devices you require.
- Wear medical alert tags or bracelets to identify your disability.
- Know the location and availability of more than one facility if you are dependent on a dialysis machine or other life-sustaining equipment or treatment.
The Katy Police Department is part of the Greater Harris County 911 System – for the hearing impaired please see attached link for information to assistance in contacting 911 via Text. http://911.org/442911_FAQs.asp