Residential Garbage & Recycling
Republic Services is the garbage and recycling provider for the City of Katy. Each residence is provided one 95-gallon blue poly cart for household garbage and one 95-gallon blue/green cart for recyclables. These carts are the property of Republic Services and will be maintained by Republic. Only carts issued by Republic Services can be used for garbage and recycling collection. Additional carts may be requested using this form. If you have any questions, please contact the City of Katy at 281-391-4801.
Residential Garbage Guidelines:
- Your residential collection day will be Friday if you live north of Franz Road, Tuesday if you are south of Franz Road or Wednesday for the neighborhoods of Cane Island, Falls of Green Meadows, Young Ranch, Woodcreek, Reserve of Katy or Avalon. The monthly fee (including recycling) is $13.76.
- Trash must be placed at the curb by 8:00 AM. Collection will be completed between 8:00 AM and 7:00 PM on each service day. No trash shall be placed at curb for collection except on the designated trash day. Carts shall be placed at curb or as close to the roadway as possible without interfering with traffic and not greater than five feet from the roadway. Wheel side of cart should face your home and the cart opening toward the street. Do not overfill the cart, the lid must be closed. Return your cart to your property at the end of the day, after your collection has occurred.
- Carts are imprinted with bar codes identifying the residential address.
- Republic Services will collect heavy trash including furniture, mattresses, appliances, yard waste, bulky items, and tree trimmings each week with your regular garbage. Bagged yard waste will be picked up. Tree trimmings must be less than 2” in diameter, cut into 4-foot lengths and tied neatly in bundles not to exceed 40 pounds.
- Republic Services will NOT collect gas tanks, car parts, wet paint, tires, hazardous materials, items containing freon or that have not been certified that the freon has been removed or any type of construction debris including, but not limited to, flooring, fencing, sheet rock, lumber, shingles and concrete.
Should the New Year, Christmas or Thanksgiving holiday fall on a scheduled collection day, collection may occur on the next day. Notification of changes in schedules due to a holiday will be posted on the City’s web page.
Residential Recycling Guidelines:
- The residential recycling day will be the first and third Thursday unless you live in Cane Island, Falls of Green Meadows, Young Ranch, Woodcreek, Reserve of Katy or Avalon – recycling will be the second and fourth Thursday.
- By 8:00 a.m., the cart should be placed at curbside (within 3 feet of the roadway/curb and at least 3 feet from the garbage cart. It will then be emptied by an automated side-load truck. Wheel side of cart should face your home and the cart opening toward the street. The green lid cart is for recycling only. Do not overfill the cart, the lid must be closed.
- Place recyclables loose in the cart, do not place in plastic bags. Only recyclables placed inside the closed cart will be picked up.
- Return your cart to your property by the end of the day, after your collection has occurred.
Recyclable Materials must be emptied and rinsed clean. The following will NOT be accepted: motor oil, insecticide, herbicide, hazardous chemical containers, plastic bags, plastic film, plastic sheets, tarps, plastic wrap, expanded foam or clear polystyrene. “When in doubt, leave it out”
Household Hazardous Waste can be taken to the following locations:
- Fort Bend County Hazardous Household Waste, 1200 Blume Road, Rosenberg TX 77471, 281.633.7527
- Harris County Household Hazardous Waste Collection, 6900 Hahl Rd (northwest corner of Gessner/290) 281.560.6200
Acceptable Materials for Recycling:
- Aluminum cans, trays and foil (clean)
- Aseptic packaging and table top containers (milk and juice cartons)
- Steel cans, tin, glass and glass bottles
- PET soda, water bottles
- HDPE milk and juice jugs (#2 colored plastic resin)
- PVC narrow neck containers only (#3 plastic resin) such as health and beauty aid products and household cleaners
- LDPE grocery containers (#4 plastic resin) such as margarine tubs, frozen dessert cups, six and twelve pack rings
- PP grocery containers (#5 plastic resin) such as yogurt cups and narrow neck syrup and ketchup bottles #7 plastic resin narrow neck containers only
- Plastic buckets such as kitty litter containers (5-gallon maximum size)
- Newspaper, including inserts (remove plastic sleeves)
- Cardboard (no waxed cardboard)
- Kraft (brown paper) bags
- Magazines, catalogs and telephone books
- Office, notebook and gift wrap paper, no metal clips, spirals or bonders
- Chipboard (cereal, cake and food mix boxes, gift boxes, etc)
- Carrier stock (soda and beer can carrying cases)
- Junk mail and envelopes (no plastic cards, stick on labels or unused stamps)
- Paperback books (no hard cover books)
REWARDS FOR RECYCLING IN THE CITY OF KATY
Republic Services has partnered with RecycleBank to implement an award winning incentive-based recycling program that motivates people to recycle and will provide each household with $130 – $200 in annual reward savings with RecycleBank rewards.
The More You Recycle, the More Points You Earn – RecycleBank will motivate residents in The City of Katy to recycle more. Residents earn points for the amount of material recycled and redeem points for rewards and discounts at hundreds of national and regional businesses, as well as local merchants.
How It Works: Points for Curbside Recycling – Each time recycling is collected, the total is weighed and converted to RecycleBank Points. When residents report their recycling participation to RecycleBank (online or via mobile reporting), they receive their share of the RecycleBank Points. Earned points are 2.5 point for every pound (1x lb.) of Recycled material.
What Residents Can Do with Their Points – All residents will have access to the RecycleBank reward portfolio, and members can redeem rewards with RecycleBank partners online or over the phone. A complete listing of program partners can be found at www.recyclebank.com/my_rewards. Households redeem RecycleBank points for rewards and discounts at over 1,500 local, regional and national businesses.
Local Businesses – Buy Local – Businesses may join the RecycleBank program as reward partners at no cost. RecycleBank will work with the City to engage the local business community. Local businesses participate in the RecycleBank Rewards Program simply by honoring a reward that encourages households to recycle.
RecycleBank Green Schools Program – Schools in your DISTRICT (K-12) may submit a grant proposal to fund environmental education and, if accepted, become eligible to receive Points. Residents in the community can donate their RecycleBank Points to help the schools achieve their goals. Grants range from $100 to $5,000 with a 95% rate grant achievement.
RecycleBank Points for Recycling Electronic Waste – RecycleBank also provides rewards for electronic waste. Household members can download a postage paid envelope label from www.RecycleBank.com (888.727.2978) and mail their old cell phones, PDAs, MP3 players, iPods or laptops to RecycleBank’s partner vendors who will responsibly dispose of them.
For more on RecycleBank go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKIGC0Tbpg4&feature=PlayList&p=467B27787314C442