Garbage & Heavy Trash Guidelines
As of March 12, 2018
ATTENTION RESIDENTS: Yard waste, which includes leaves, grass clippings, small trimming, etc. will be picked up twice monthly on heavy trash days.
• Up to 15 CLEAR PLASTIC LAWN BAGS (not to exceed 40 lbs. each) will be picked up on heavy trash days if placed within 5 feet of the curb; bags do not have to be contained in a blue container.
• Heavy trash days are still for the pick-up of 3 bulk items (furniture/appliances) and up to 4 cubic yards of tree branches bundled and tied, but in addition, clear bags of yard waste will also be picked up.
• If you have rented an additional bin and no longer need it due to this service, you can return the bin and no longer pay the additional fee. Please email email@example.com for this request.
• Additionally, the City will host a biannual pick-up of bulk trash city-wide, once in the spring and once in the fall, in conjunction with Keep Katy Beautiful’s “America’s Recycles Day” event scheduled for Saturday, November 3. The fall city-wide trash pick-up will begin Monday, November 5. Any and all trash left at your curb will be picked up, except for construction debris, cross ties, tires, solvents, paint, petroleum products, pool chemicals, fertilizer, herbicides, pesticides, hazardous materials/chemicals, logs or stumps, car batteries, soil, rocks, concrete, medical waste, medical sharps and closed containers.
GARBAGE/RECYCLING/HEAVY TRASH (as of February 1, 2018; updated March 12, 2018)
- Only Republic Services blue carts can be used for trash. NO PERSONAL CANS OR BAGS OUTSIDE THE CART WILL BE COLLECTED
- All household waste should be placed INSIDE the 95 gallon Republic Services cart
- Additional carts can be requested by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org (Garbage-$3.62/cart/month; Recycling-$1.29/cart/month). Form to Request Additional Carts can be faxed to 281.391.0007 or emailed to email@example.com.
- Commercial accounts are limited to two garbage carts
- Heavy trash will be twice monthly on Mondays as shown below, and will be limited to 3 bulky items per collection (appliances/furniture) and 4 cubic yards of bundled limbs that are within 5 feet of the curb. Limbs must be less than 2” in diameter and cut to 4 foot lengths and tied in small bundles not to exceed 40 lbs. In addition, up to 15 bags of yard debris (leaves, clippings, stems, etc.) in CLEAR LAWN BAGS will be picked up on heavy trash days only. The clear bags must be placed within 5 feet of the curb.
- For service or cart repairs, please contact Republic Services at (713) 849-0400, option #5.
Garbage (blue cart/blue lid) Recycling (blue cart/green lid) Heavy Trash
Tuesday for south of Franz Road 1st and 3rd Thursday 1st and 3rd Monday
Friday for north of Franz Road 1st and 3rd Thursday 1st and 3rd Monday
Wednesday for Cane Island, Falls of 2nd and 4th Thursday 2nd and 4th Monday
Green Meadows, Young Ranch,
Woodcreek, Reserve of Katy and Avalon
If a collection day falls on a holiday (Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year’s), pick up will be rescheduled for an alternate date. In the event of an “Act of God”, the waste or recycling will be picked up on the following collection day if the landfill can be accessed. Holiday schedule changes will be posted at www.cityofkaty.com.
Republic Services will collect and dispose of all residential trash in the garbage cart unless restricted by law or if the item would cause damage to the collection equipment. The following items will not be picked up: construction debris, cross ties, tires, solvents, paint, petroleum products, pool chemicals, fertilizer, herbicides, pesticides, hazardous materials/chemicals, logs or stumps, car batteries, soil, rocks, concrete, medical waste, medical sharps and closed containers.
Refrigeration Units: Refrigerators, air conditioners, freezers or items that contain CFC’s (Freon), by law, must have the gas removed by a licensed technician and be red tagged prior to collection.